FBI unlocks seized iPhone without Apple’s help, ends legal case

(Image: CNET/CBS Interactive)

Case closed — at least for now.

The Justice Dept. confirmed Monday that it has dropped its case against Apple, demanding that the company helps federal agents unlock an iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooters.

The government announcement last week that it was suspending its case against the iPhone and iPad maker after an “outside party demonstrated to the FBI a possible method” for unlocking the iPhone, used by Syed Farook, who along with his wife, Tashfeen Malik, killed 14 people in the southern Californian town in early December.

The government was told by Pym to file a status report by April 5, which was filed on Monday a week ahead of the deadline.

In the filing, the government confirmed that it “no longer requires the assistance” from Apple after it “successfully accessed the data on Farook’s iPhone.”

Investigators were able to unlock the phone “without compromising any information on the phone,” said US Attorney Eileen Decker in a statement.

More soon…